django CMS documentation¶
django CMS is a modern web publishing platform built with Django, the web application framework “for perfectionists with deadlines”.
django CMS offers out-of-the-box support for the common features you’d expect from a CMS, but can also be easily customised and extended by developers to create a site that is tailored to their precise needs.
For the new django CMS developer, from installation to creating your own addon applications.
Practical step-by-step guides for the more experienced developer, covering several important topics.
Join us online¶
django CMS is supported by a friendly and very knowledgeable community.
Our IRC channel, #django-cms, is on
irc.freenode.net. If you don’t have an IRC client, you can
join our IRC channel using the KiwiIRC web client, which works pretty well.
Our django CMS users email list is for general django CMS questions and discussion
Our django CMS developers email list is for discussions about the development of django CMS
Why django CMS?¶
django CMS is a well-tested CMS platform that powers sites both large and small. Here are a few of the key features:
- robust internationalisation (i18n) support for creating multilingual sites
- front-end editing, providing rapid access to the content management interface
- support for a variety of editors with advanced text editing features.
- a flexible plugins system that lets developers put powerful tools at the fingertips of editors, without overwhelming them with a difficult interface
- …and much more
There are other capable Django-based CMS platforms but here’s why you should consider django CMS:
- thorough documentation
- easy and comprehensive integration into existing projects - django CMS isn’t a monolithic application
- a healthy, active and supportive developer community
- a strong culture of good code, including an emphasis on automated testing
Software version requirements and release notes¶
This document refers to version 3.6.0.
Django/Python compatibility table¶
See the repository’s
setup.py for more specific details of dependencies, or the Release notes & upgrade information for
information about what is required or has changed in particular versions of the CMS.
The installation how-to guide provides an overview of other packages required in a django CMS project.